Are you getting paid less than minimum wage or living wage?

Most people who work are entitled to get paid at least the National Minimum Wage. This includes casual workers, people on zero hours contracts and agency workers.

There is also a higher rate called the National Living Wage. You should be paid this if you’re 25 or older and you’re entitled to the National Minimum Wage.

Your employer can’t fire you or alter your work to get around the National Living Wage. For example, they can’t take work that you've been doing away from you and give it to someone under 25 to avoid having to increase your wage. If you think your employer has changed your job to get around the minimum wage, it's worth getting advice.

Find out whether you’re entitled to the minimum wage or living wage

You’re not entitled to the minimum wage if you’re any of the following:

  • self-employed - bear in mind that you might think you're 'self-employed' when in fact you're a 'worker' entitled to minimum wage (it’s always best to check whether this applies to you and get advice if you’re not sure)
  • under 16
  • living and working with a family as an au pair or nanny, and not paying towards your accommodation or meals
  • in the armed forces
  • a volunteer or doing work experience
  • a prisoner
  • some trainees and interns (however, the eligibility rules are complicated so you should get advice)
  • some farm workers (check if minimum wage applies to you on GOV.UK)

If you’re not sure whether you fall into any of these categories, you can check if you’re entitled to minimum wage using the TUC’s checker - or call the Acas helpline.

Acas helpline

Telephone: 0300 123 1100
Text relay: 18001 0300 123 1100
Open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 1pm Saturday. 

Calls cost between 3p and 45p a minute from mobiles, and up to 12p a minute from landlines.